Frequently asked questions

Do you have a callout facility?

Yes, we have a 24-hour 365 day call out facility covering the entire UK for contract customers.

How often do smoke vent systems need to be serviced and is it legal obligation?

All smoke ventilation and extraction systems need to be serviced a minimum of once a year to the RRO (The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, article 17) and BS: 7346.

This is a legal obligation which the responsible person of the building should organise to ensure the system is working correctly in the event of a fire for both persons and property.

Will I get a pass certificate?

Yes, if the system is working correctly to the cause-and-effect and the original design parameters.
We would carry out a service and should we find any minor defects that we can fix immediately with the parts we have, we will issue a Pass certificate.

Should it require any extra equipment or extra work then we would inform you of what is needed and produce either an “at risk or a fail certificate”.

I don’t know who system is and I can’t find the original manufacturer, can you help?

Yes, we have been operating for over 80 years and in that time many people have attempted to copy Colt systems under their own name, we have grown a knowledge bank of many other manufacturers systems in that time, even those who have ceased trading.

I don’t know anything about the system and I’m not actually sure if it’s a smoke vent system, what should I do?

Make contact with Colt for a free survey, we will despatch one of our Area Managers to inspect the system and provide you with a service quote, it may well be that we have records of your building anyway but this visit would be free of charge.

What happens then?

Based on the report, we will produce a quotation for a once a year service with the option of a six monthly inspection to SFG20.

If you’re happy to proceed, forward an official order over to our office and we will start the process.

Once I book a service, do I need to do anything?

Part of the area manager’s visit is to see if any access equipment is required to do the works, this may be supplied by ourselves or the use of the sites own equipment in the form of a MEWP, it could be that we are just using ladders.

Whatever the scenario, we will forward over our RAMS for doing the work, all you need to do is to agree to these, the office will then book a date for the service.

What we would need from yourself is clear access into the building, code, fob, Key etc.

Do I need to book next year’s service?

No, our office will automatically forward a renewal for your service contract in good time for the anniversary of the service.